Students and Parents, today we post the results for the 21-22 Rock Hill Choir program.
I know that everyone is anxious to see who, through audition and a great amount of thought, has been selected for these groups. Results are available on the "Choir" page, but I would like for everyone to consider the following ...
1. Preparation for these auditions was at the highest level! Parents, all of your children can sing musically, and most sight read very well. Please keep in mind that that everyone returning the choir program auditioned for placement, and they ALL performed at their highest level. This makes some of the decision making coming down to ensemble balance, participation and service, and most importantly, ATTENDANCE and ELIGIBILITY.
2. Take Me Seriously ... Not Personally. I quote my colleague, Kari Gilbertson at Lake Highlands HS in Richardson ISD. Audition results are never intended to hurt anyone personally. We do use a rubric for every audition. Parents and students, you are welcome to schedule a meeting with me after school gets out and discuss the audition. Our audition process is completely transparent and fair.
3. If you were selected to A Cappella Choir, be humble. Remember, you may be as happy as someone is sad, and vice versa, so make sure you are kind and humble in your reactions. Consider not texting or posting on social media. Parents -- the same goes for you.
4. Don't contact me this weekend. You can be angry with me for the next 48 hours, then let's get on with our much deserved Summer, and start working towards making next year better. Don't even send that e-mail that you just typed ... send it towards the end of next week after you've had some time to digest the choir postings.
5. Advocate for yourself. A good friend of mine that teaches at Flower Mound HS always reminds his choir families that everyone will be in college or the workforce soon, and they need to develop the skills of self autonomy and self advocacy. Students, I'm happy to sit down with you in the future and discuss your audition. Parents, I won't discuss any audition results with you until I have met with your student first.
6. Look for lessons for next time. Let's sit down for a few minutes and examine all aspects of your audition ... performance, sight reading, tone, knowledge of key signatures and note names, attendance, grades, character, leadership, rehearsal, attitude, maturity. This will not be during your choir period (make an appointment). Remember, Mr. Keen and I have told you since the first day of school that you are always auditioning.
7. Try again. The Columbus Children's Choir audition page says, "Don't be disappointed after your audition. The more you do this, the better you get at it." You WILL have other opportunities.
I can't think of a time in the last four years that our graduating Seniors did not fail at something. Those that are the most successful and talented have had their moments of disappointment ... but they all kept going and have grown from the experience. I challenge you all to do the same. Most importantly, Mr. Keen and I care for all of you, and we would place you all in the A Cappella Choir if we could. Our overall goal is for you to get better and advance from year to year. If your name is not on the A Cappella Choir list, know that you are still a crucial part of an excellent choir program, and if you choose, will have the opportunity to be successful, have fun, and lead in your choir next year.
Finally ... Remember that we are ALL going to have the opportunity to participate in the trip to Florida/Disney in March 2022, regardless of the choir that you were placed.
NEW TO ROCK HILL? Whether you are a current student at Rock Hill High School or are new to Prosper ISD, you are welcome in our choir program. Auditions for choir placement are currently taking place, and will continue through the Summer. Contact Mr. McGuire at email@example.com to set up a time to audition in person, or online if you are currently living outside of the school district. Your audition will require some vocalizing and an 8-measure sight reading example.
Help us help YOU stay in touch over the Summer. Update your information with the directors. Please send your updated cell phone and email address to Mr. McGuire at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are new to Rock Hill High School or the Rock Hill Choir program, please send your Student's name, grade, PISD student ID, cell phone, email, AND send primary parent's name, email, home address, and cell phone number.